Mechanical engineer Norman E. Timbs created this dramatic streamliner in the 1940s. Timbs resume already included work on Indianapolis winners, such as the famous ‘Blue Crown Specials.’ It took him over two years to complete the car at a cost of $10,000. The body was created in aluminum by Emil Diedt at a cost of $8,000. Timbs was influenced by the Auto Union Type C and Mercedes-Benz W25 Avus Streamlined GP racers from the 1930s. His shape is a close approximation to these cars, the GP cars of their day. The Special uses a 1948 Buick straight 8 engine, with dual ‘Compound’ carburetors and dual exhausts, to propel the 2,200 lb. car to 120 mph. The engine resides in a tube chassis, behind the driver. The chassis is built from four-inch tubes, which kick up over the rear axle. The smooth shape is long, low and sports an underbelly pan. A one-piece rear panel opens to reveal the entire rear end of the chassis.
The car was discovered in the desert pretty much intact in 2002. It was restored by Dave Crouse.